Antique warship to be turned into museum

Royal Thai Navy Landing ship tank HMTS Lanta berthed on the Chao Praya River It was launched in 1945 as the USS Stone County (LST-1141)

Royal Thai Navy Landing ship tank HMTS Lanta berthed on the Chao Praya River It was launched in 1945 as the USS Stone County (LST-1141): Flickr.com

The HTMS Lanta, a famous battle ships belonging to the Royal Thai Navy, is soon to tell its proud history to visitors by becoming a learning center.

Formerly known as the USS Stone County, the Lanta was built by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Company and was commissioned on 9 May 1945. The ship served the United States Navy until the year 1969 when it was sold to the Royal Thai Navy in 1973. It became the fourth ship in the Royal fleet.

The ship participated in many missions including voyages to the second World War. It has received battle awards for service in the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

The Tank Landing Ship was mainly used for naval support as well as troop, armament and vehicle transport, and also supply transport to various countries around the world.

The battle ship will be converted into a museum and learning center featuring the long battle history of the Lanta and the history of Krabi province where the ship will rest.

Mr Prasit Othanon, Governor of Krabi, said that once the ship has been remodeled it will become an interesting tourist attraction for Thais and tourists. (NNT)

Advertisements